Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Hair Stories: Chasiti

Hair Stories: Chasiti 
 

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN NATURAL?
This time around 9 months. The first time 1 year.

SO THIS IS YOUR 2nd TIME AROUND. WHAT HAPPENED THE FIRST TIME AROUND?
The first time I didn't use ANY natural hair care products. I barely touched my natural hair.  I keep it under half wigs b/c it was much harder than I had taught to press it every week.  Lack of knowledge on how specifically to care for it caused me to get a relaxer a year later.

WHAT/WHO INFLUENCE THE DECISION?
Well, this not my first time being natural.  The first time I went natural I had been wanting locks since college, but I allowed my mother to talk me out of it.  Once I was married I asked my husband how he felt about natural hair and if he would be okay with me going natural.  He said he could care less how I wore my hair. It took me about 3 months of contemplating during that time I ran across a picture of me at about 8 years old.  I noticed how healthy, thick, and long my natural hair use to be and I woke up one morning and didn’t think about what I was about to do and just cut, cut, cut!  I hadn’t had a relaxer in about 3 months I had crochet braids.  I cut it to about 2 inches all over.  I then started wearing half-wigs pressing the front of my hair.  At that time I didn’t know anything about youtube videos or caring for my natural hair so after a year of  dealing with matted hair under half-wigs I went and got a relaxer.
 

Last year my best friend went natural after several trips to Africa.  She was on a crusade to get all her Black friends to go natural with her.  I told her that my hair was too hard to manage natural. She told me to use some natural hair care products.  I considered it, but was so uneducated about natural hair care products I decide it was just easier to relax my hair.  (See my mom never got a chance to teach me how to care for my hair in its natural state b/c by the time I was in Jr. High I had bugged her so much for a relaxer she finally let me have one.  So she taught me how to take care of that kind of hair.) I was watching the home shopping channel one day and the founder of Carol’s Daughter was on there with her lovely bouncy curls so I stopped and watched.  I was shocked at how many products there are on the market for natural hair and she was telling what each one was used for etc. etc. So I Googled Carol’s Daughter and all this natural hair care stuff came up and youtube videos too.  The first girl that caught my eye was Black Onyx I watched almost all of her videos I was up until about 2 in the morning.  Then I decide I was ready for my BC. 
 

HOW DID PEOPLE RESPOND TO YOU AFTER YOU DID YOUR BC??
My husband, best friend, and a few other ladies that are natural loved it, but my older family members really didn’t understand.

DO YOU HAVE A NATURAL HAIR IDOL?
No not really Black Onyx was, but we don’t have the same hair type so I had to let go of doing styles like hers.
WHAT STYLES DID YOU WEAR IN TRANSITION?
Wigs
DID YOU USE WIGS TO TRANSITION BOTH TIMES?
Neither time did I really have a true transition period I just didn't get a relaxer when it was time BOTH times, then I just cut it all off.  The only difference was the first time I decided to go natural I had crochet braids and cut my hair when it was time for the braids to come out and the second time I had a quick weave in and I said, "I'm not getting another relaxer" and I cut shorter this time. 

NOW THAT YOU'RE ALL NATURAL, WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT HAIR CARE REGIMEN? 
Personal mixture: Shea Butter, Tea Oil, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and other oils (I have a recipe and don‘t have the book with me right now)
I wash my hair about every other week sometimes I go 2 weeks.  When I wash I use Carol’s Daughter shampoo or one of the VO5 smoothie shampoos. And I follow Black Onyx’s L.O.C. (Liquid, Oil, Cream) method. 

WHAT IS THE L.O.C. METHOD? CAN YOU EXPLAIN THAT TO US?

L.O.C. is something BlackOnyx came up with she described it as follows:
  
After you wash and condition your regular way, use a leave-in conditioner that's "L"- is liquid conditioner, then "O" is oil-ANY oil-use your hair's favorite (my hair sucks oil so I use one of my thicker oils, but my daughter has type 2 hair so olive oil does her just fine), "C"- is cream for some type of cream based hair product (I use my Shea Butter mixture)  

OH OK COOL... ARE THERE OTHER THINGS YOU DO IN YOUR CURRENT REGIMEN? 
I shampoo, condition with Nexxus Humectress, but I condition for at least 20 minutes under a plastic bag/cap. After I condition I put in the thickest oil (I can‘t remember which one I got so many) and then I use my personal Shea Butter mixture. 
I use heavy Bee’s wax on my edges and sometimes on my whole head overnight for a hot oil treatment effect.

WHAT DOES THE BEES WAX DO FOR YOUR HAIR?

I know some people don't like the "hair typying" system, BUT I love it, so I use it!! I have type 3 hair (the absolute tightest curls Black people have) so my edges give me a hard time sometimes.  It is super hard at times to get my edges to lay down for me.  I was searching for some flaxseeds to make my own hair gel, but couldn't find anyone locally that sells the stuff I did find Bees Wax. 
 
On my type 3 hair I use HEAVY bees wax on my edges and for a DEEP hot oil treatment affect I will apply heavy Bees Wax and then place a plastic cap on my head and sleep with the plastic cap all night.  I LOVE this my hair LOVES this it is moisturized and managerable, BUT the thickness of the Bees Wax does leave a film on my hair so I usually wash it out in 2 weeks.  It is great if you want a formal look. Apply Bees Wax instead of setting lotion (like we do when we have relaxers) set on rods and under a dryer.  You will have beautiful FULL curls.
 
Now my daughter has type 2 hair (b/c of the French in her dad's family) and Bees Wax really helps manage her hair.  She is 7 and I have been teaching her to love her kinky hair, but she is affected by what she sees on the Disney channel LOL. So I was searching for a way to show her that she can style her hair and look just like the girls on t.v. without adding chemicals.  One day I just tried the Bees Wax on her hair.  I greased her scalp with Blue Magic then I flat ironed her whole head and bumped the ends using a little of the Bees Wax.  Her hair kept that style for 2 weeks with no problem.  Her edges love the Bees Wax too. 

DO YOU HAVE ANY FAVORITE NATURAL STYLES?
There is nothing I love more than the BIG afros free and wild.


LOL THERE'S NOTHING MORE FREEING THAN JUST LETTING YOUR HAIR GO WILD. WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED ABOUT YOUR HAIR ON THIS JOURNEY SO FAR?
That it is mine from God and I must love it no matter the style. Some women don’t have a choice of natural or relaxed b/c they are bald so I just try to remember to be grateful I have a choice.
I HEAR THAT!!! NOTHING AGAINST BALD WOMEN (b/c some rock it VERY well) BUT I'M GRATEFUL FOR ALL MY HAIR LOL. WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT YOUR HAIR?
Versatility, hands down  Other women are beautiful, but Black women we are the true BLESSED ones we can wear our hair HOWEVER day-to-day. I love that WE set the trend. Who was wearing weave before us…NOBODY…now every White, Brown, and in between girl wears some form of weave. BUT they CAN’T rock afro I LOVE IT!!

I FEEL THE SAME WAY!!! WHAT DO YOU LIKE LEAST ABOUT YOUR HAIR?
It is time consuming!
I THINK NATURALISTAS EVERYWHERE CAN ATTEST TO THAT. WHAT CHALLENGES DO YOU HAVE WITH IT?
 Deciding what to do next b/c there are TOO many choices.  I can watch a movie and see a woman with a weave that is banging and want to rock that then the next day I can go to Wal*mart and see a natural sista and want to take out my expensive weave the NEXT day…and around and around it goes
LOL, YET ANOTHER CHALLENGE I THINK WE CAN ALL IDENTIFY WITH. WHAT ONE WORD DESCRIBES YOUR HAIR?
Versatile

WHAT ARE 3 PRODUCTS YOU MUST HAVE?
Shea Butter
Nexxus Humectress
Bee Wax

WHAT'S THE BEST ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE NATURAL CONTEMPLATORS?
If you are thinking about it just try it you might be surprised. For some people it is a deep freeing feeling. I personally don’t take my hair that seriously, but to each her own.  If your hair is breaking off with the relaxer this is a great way to get it healthy again.  Just try it you can always go back to relaxing!!


1 comment:

  1. take about progress, her loc's look beautiful, i've yet to see an unhappy loc'er :D - www.naturalocs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete