Friday, November 4, 2011

Feature Friday: MissCleva of Cleva Collections

Feature Friday: MissCleva of Cleva Collections


How long have you been natural?
I’ve been natural for 3 years and counting. It seems longer than that to me though.

What/Who influenced you to start this journey?
 My mom, she did 2 Big Chops. The first time was to cut off her jherri curls so she could get a perm. Then she cut off her relaxed hair to start her locs


That’s wassup. It’s not often that you hear of a mother influencing her daughter to transition to natural hair. Normally it’s the other way around lol. So how long did you transition before you cut all your hair off?
 I had kinky twists to keep a style as it transitioned but ONLY for one month. After that I had to get a chop. I was too excited, couldn’t wait any longer.

LOL wow….and what made you decide to just go ahead and do the big chop?
Watching natural hair journey videos on youtube. The videos inspired me to make that bold move and just chop all my relaxed hair off.  


How did you feel afterwards?
 Loved it!!!!  Doing the big chop helped me focus on just my face and realized how pretty I am.


That is AWESOME and quite a unique answer. What was your boyfriend’s reaction?
He was surprised and said I look like an island gal.


What about others? How did they react to the new you?  
They’d say “ OMG  you cut your hair, Why?” and I would reply “it’s just hair.”

LOL I love that answer. What has this hair journey been like for you? What have you learned?

It’s been pretty interesting. I learned that the longer it grows the more maintenance. I’ve also learned what hair products are good and bad for natural hair.


Which do you prefer relaxed hair or natural hair?
Natural Hair, I don’t need to go to the salon every two weeks to get a touch-up and no more burning scalp. Plus when it rains the humidity keeps my hair nice and moisturized.




And long hair or short hair?  
Short hair now right now, it’s easy for me to manage because I’ve been so busy. Plus I have a little one now, so maintaining long hair is not going to be easy.

What do you love most about your hair?
It’s low maintenance. All I need is water, shea butter and gel. My natural curls come out so nicely.


What do you like the least about it?  
Hmmmmm well when it was long I didn’t like having to braid it every night. 



Give us 3 hair care products you can’t live without.  
Shea butter, kinky curly custard and gel



So I know that you are a fashion designer, has your new look influenced your business at all?
It Sure did

In what way?
It helped me to become bolder and not to be afraid to take chances. Now I design and create attire without being nervous. I don’t care about the reactions or criticism anymore.

Tell us a little bit about your fashion line Cleva Collections How did you come up with the name?
First, the acronym C.L.E.V.A. means Classy, Ladies, Endear, Visible, Attraction. Cleva is also the title of one of my favorite Erykah Badu songs and the name Cleva describes my designs. It’s very unique. 

I like that. Who is your target audience?
My target audience is ladies who like to stand out and be different from others. It’s for women who enjoy fashionable attention.

And where can we find your products?
 www.clevacollections.com  I’m also working on putting Cleva Collections in boutiques.


That’s  BIG!!! What’s the best advice you can give aspiring naturalistas and all those transitioning divas out there?  
Don’t be scared to go for that big chop if you’ve been thinking about it… its just hair, it’ll grow back… the time will come when you’re going to be tempted to relax it. BE STRONG DON’T GIVE UP!!!

1 comment: