Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hair Stories: Aaisha

Hair Stories: Aaisha


How long have you been rocking your natural hair?
I’m not definite but 7 or 8 years 
              
What/who influenced you to start this journey?
I had done everything to my hair. Braids, Jeri curl, weave. I got bored with my hair. I wanted something new. I wanted to see if I could pull it off. At first when I started my locs they were on the scalp short. N I was so mortified because I was so vain. But then a lady on the street thought they were nice and after that I was good. Now I’m so happy I made the decision






Did you ever do a BC (big chop)?
no I’m afraid to be bald I don’t think I have the head for it.

What kind of reaction did you get when you decided to lock your hair?
Everybody thought that it was a good move except my nana. She liked it on other people but not her baby. But once I got them she grew to love them and then when they got some hang time she thought they were amazing.



Since starting this journey what have you learned about your hair?
All the things that affect your hair .such as what you put in your body. Why you should be mindful. The vitamins you need.  I used to put so much lye in my hair to make it straight. Then in two weeks all that work was down the drain. I couldn’t get wet. Had to roll it. So much. Then it would fall out. Or I would wake up and not sure what it would look like. I have been reading books. Trying new products and I latest project is to start making my own jell, deep conditioner, hot oil and sheen. I have taken advantage of my hair for a long time but as I get older I learn to pay attention to my locs because if I don’t I won’t have them .  

What do you love most about your hair?
Its wake up and go. I never had hair to put in a ponytail. And even though I have recently been having problems with my hair due to a vitamin deficiency, I love the fact that I can pull it back or put it up and go.



What do you like the least?
I wish that it wasn’t so dry. It’s like the Sahara desert. It is normally itchy. I have to like drown it in oil. But at least there isn’t any dandruff.

LOL @ the last statement but I totally understand because dandruff is a BIG problem. Aside from having the issue of dryness have you faced any other challenges with your hair?
In June of last year had surgery. The result of my surgery made me take lost of vitamins. But one of the side effects is hair thinning. I spoke to my doctor she assured me that it was a normal side effect. But also told me to take some vitamins. I then went online to see what else I can do .And no, not potions that when I read the ingredients I have no clue what they are. So I looked into things like cinnamon, tea tree oil, and other herbs and oils.

What does your hair care regimen currently consist of?
I must admit I was a slacker till my hair showed me I couldn’t just ignore it and expect it to perform. But treat it like the love of my life. And give it some TLC.  I wash it every few weeks. I oil my scalp every other day. And I sleep with a satin cap.

If you could use one word to describe your hair what would it be?
Exceptional



What’s the best advice you could give aspiring naturalistas?
Try it, don’t over think it .And it you don’t like it you can always go back. Going natural can only help your hair not harm it.

What are 3 hair care products you can’t live without?
Olive oil, ouchless hair twisties, Shea butter

Anything else we should know about you and your hair?
Go forth and find your natural path. It’s out there just waiting for u to discover it.



No comments:

Post a Comment