Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Natural vs. Relaxed...the GREAT DEBATE

Natural vs. Relaxed....."good hair means curls and waves bad hair means you look like a slave...."

There seems to be a common misconception that naturalistas feel as though we are "better than"our relaxed counterparts.  I can't front when I first went natural there was a sense of arrogance. Part of me thought "oh I don't NEED a relaxer. My hair is beautiful." I'm almost ashamed to admit that but it's the truth. I was arrogant, uneducated and just plain stupid lol.

I now realize that it's not about natural, relaxed, curly, straight, or kinky. It's about HEALTHY HAIR period. I know several chicas with relaxed hair that is strong and healthy. While I'm still an advocate for natural hair I now realize that this road is not for everybody. When people talk to me about transitioning I do find myself encouraging them to least try the natural route. Bottom line is that you have to find what works for YOU.

I no longer define myself by my hair. My hair is an extension of a bigger better more beautiful ME. It is what it is and I love it but like my girl India said: "I am NOT my hair...I am the soul that lives within". Does your hair define who you are? Can you still be YOU whether relaxed, natural or BALD? Whatever your hairstyle of choice OWN IT!!!!!


So chicas what's your take on the whole natural vs relaxed debate???


5 comments:

  1. This is my motto: Love yourself, embrace your curls, and spread sunshine! Being natural isn't for everyone! So, do you and don't judge anyone else while being them! Great post chica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Sunshine. It really bothers me when I see naturalistas going IN on other chicas about having a perm. It is NOT that serious. What works for one does not always work for another

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Janna!!! What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think where the war of Relaxed vs Natural is concerned, I am neither for nor against relaxers. Like you, I am a huge advocate for natural hair, but I don't think it's all or nothing. My main hope for black women as it concerns natural hair is that they ALL feel like natural hair is an option that they can choose if they would like. If they don't, that's fine. I just want to get to a point where women no longer say, "I couldn't do the natural thing." Other than that, I say relaxed or natural, do you!

    ReplyDelete