Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hair Stories: Ty

Hair Stories: Tyshanique


"MY HAIR WAS HEALTHY AND I LOVED IT..."




So Ty tell us, how long have you been natural/transitioning?
I transitioned for 14 months and have been fully natural for THREE exciting weeks
FOUR MONTHS POST RELAXER 


I TRANSITIONED WITH:

WEAVES...


MORE WEAVE...



BIGGER WEAVE !!! LOL



AND OF COURSE BRAID OUTS/TWIST OUTS/ BANTU KNOT OUTS ETC...



These are some really beautiful pics!!! Tell us, who or what influenced you to make the transition?
Every woman with big hair influenced me. I've always wanted to go natural to have big hair of my own and most importantly to learn to love every natural part of me. With my relaxed hair I could achieve a 'big look' but it would never last long. Now I love the fact that I can rock my hair in every way possible.

 13 MONTHS POST RELAXER

Every possible way huh? What are some of your favorite styles?
I LOVE bantu knot outs. It was my favorite when I transitioned and I love it even more now!!!

Since being natural have you done a BC?
Yes, I did my BC June 16th, 2011



Woo hoo!!!!!!!! And now how would you describe your hair?
My hair is thick and filled with different textures. There are loose curls in the front and it gradually transitions to tight kinks in the back.

That curl pattern sounds typical of a lot of naturalistas. What does your hair care regimen consist of?
First I "pre-poo" with honey and EVOO in sections and let it sit for an hour. I wash with Trader Joe's Nourish Shampoo and detangle with Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner. I add about a tablespoon of honey in my hair and let it sit for 30 minutes with the conditioner. Rinse. Then I apply Cantu Shea Butter Leave In. Last but not least I add my whipped shea butter mix which consists of pure shea butter, aloe vera juice, castor oil, EVOO, coconut oil, and rosemary oil. Oh yea I also use Moroccan Argan Oil Eco Styler Gel depending on the style im rocking.

Your own personal whipped shea butter mix??? Hmmmm...is this something you created?

My sister made for me. there are also a lot of women on youtube who do the same thing. It is sooo much better than just pure shea butter and it smells delicious.


If you could use one word to describe your hair what would it be?
Versatile

What advice would you give aspiring naturalistas?
To all you aspiring naturalistas, know that transitioning is not difficult it just takes a lot of patience and getting used to. This is YOUR natural hair that God gave you, don't hate it.. love it. Products that work for someone else may not work for you because all of our hair is different and needs special 'prescribed' attention. Last but not least, being natural requires a lot of confidence. Everyone in society will not accept your kinks and curls. People may tell you "your hair looks a mess" or "you NEED a relaxer" but understand that it is your hair and you do not need anyone's approval to embrace your roots. Do not be afraid to be different, the more you show confidence in your hair, the more negative comments will be kept quiet.

That is some really good advice!!! With that in mind, what do you love most about your hair?
I love that i can walk in the rain and not worry about my perm sweating out ;-)

LOL I can completely understand that. Give us 3 hair care products you can’t live without?

1: Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner
2: My whipped shea butter mix
3: Moroccan Argan Oil Eco Styler Gel


"....I LOVE THIS LOOK MORE"

No comments:

Post a Comment